General Education Learning Outcomes
General Education Learning Outcomes are organized into four categories that are derived from the University Learning Framework. Understanding the skills and competencies within each intersection will help you choose courses that align with your interests and support your educational goals. For example, you may choose to take most of your GE courses in the Collaborate Effectively intersection in order to develop and fine tune a set of skills and competencies that will support you in managing conflict, communicating across differences and understanding multiple cultural perspectives. Alternatively, you may decide to select GE courses across several or all of the intersections to develop a versatile and interdisciplinary set of skills and competencies that will serve you in your future endeavors.
- Communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds.
- Share and build on ideas from many cultural experiences.
- Learn & demonstrate effective teamwork skills.
- Address and manage conflict effectively.
When Community and Knowledge & Skills come together, it’s all about learning to collaborate effectively. Courses in this category target the collaborative skills necessary to work and live effectively in a community of people who have different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and beliefs.
Reason & Act Ethically
- Develop a personal ethical code of conduct.
- Apply that code effectively in different situations.
- Explain how that code applies to community-based ethical issues.
- Explain how that ethical code applies to global issues.
When Community and Transformation come together, you learn how to reason and act ethically. Courses in this category provide opportunities to grapple with the ethical dimensions of problem solving and action.
Persist in Addressing Complex Problems
- Identify a strategy for perseverance and problem solving.
- Apply that strategy as you work through set-backs, errors, and failures.
- Develop creative processes that lead to effective problem solving.
- Evaluate a system of people and resources as an asset in creative problem solving.
When Knowledge & Skills and Impact come together, you learn about persisting in addressing complex problems. Courses in this category focus on developing the capacity to persist and remain engaged in complex problems, especially when an immediate solution seems elusive.
- Consider context creatively in responding to opportunities.
- Explore and create multi-dimensional approaches to respond to opportunities.
- Explore connections with other topics or opportunities.
- Transform solutions to entirely new forms.
When Impact and Transformation come together, it’s all about learning to respond creatively to the challenges and the opportunities life brings. Courses in this category focus on opportunities to explore, create, engage, and transform.