The General Education Curriculum Committee (GECC), run by the Office of General Education, oversees the General Education and Bachelor Degree Requirements for the University of Utah. The Committee consists of faculty members from all the major colleges that contribute to the General Education and Bachelor Degree Requirements. The GECC meets monthly throughout the fall and spring semesters to review applications for new designations. The GECC also reviews each designation on all courses every five years.
|Ann Darling||Co-Chair||Communication, Humanities|
|Holly Godsey||Co-Chair||Geology, Mines and Earth Science|
|Erin Beeghly||Member||Philosophy, Humanities|
|Don Wardell||Member||Operations Management and Information Systems (OIS), Business|
|Elizabeth Archuleta||Member||School for Cultural & Social Transformation, Ethnic Studies|
|Peydon Shelton||Member||Music, Fine Arts|
|Jeff Statler||Member||Chemistry, Science|
|Karen Paisely||Member||Parks, Recreation and Tourism, Health|
|Kim Hackford-Peer||Member||Gender Studies, Social and Cultural Transformation|
|Liz Tashjian||Member||Finance, Business|
|Pam Hardin||Member||Nursing, Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence|
|Melonie Murray||Member||Dance, Fine Arts|
|Chris Ingraham||Member||Communication, Humanities|
|Sarah Grineski||Member||Sociology, Social and Behavioral Science|
|Conner Warner||Member||Urban Institute for Teaching Education, Education|
|Joy Pierce||Member||Writing and Rhetoric Studies, Humanities|
|John Nilsson||Ex officio||Academic Advising Center|
The GECC oversees the following designations:
The AI (American Institutions) designation is mandated by Utah State Code R470*. The GECC does not review AI courses. The AI requirement is satisfied by one of the following courses:
• ECON 1740 – US Economic History
• HIST 1700 – America Civilization
• HIST 2700-2710 – US History (two-course sequence)
• HONOR 2212 – American Institutions
• POLS 1100 – US national Government
The BA Language Requirement is overseen by the Department of World Languages and Cultures.
The QA (Mathematics) and QR (QA and QB – Mathematics and Statistics/ Logic course)
designations are managed by the Math Department (math.utah.edu).
The WR2 (Lower Division Writing) requirement is not reviewed by the GECC. This requirement can be met through the following courses:
• ESL 1060 - Expository Writing for ESL
• HONOR 2211 – Writing in Honors
• WRTG 2010 – Intermediate Writing
* 3.2. General Education Core Requirements: … American Institutions: Students shall satisfy this requirement by completing one of the following courses: Economics 1740, (3 credits); United States Economic History, (3 credits); Political Science 1100, American Political Institutions (3 credits); or History 1700, American Civilization (3 credits). An interdisciplinary integrated course that satisfies comparable criteria as those in Utah statute may also satisfy the requirement. Some institutions may require a two-course sequence in the areas of economics, political science, or history which satisfies comparable criteria.