You are here:

Early College High School

Academy for Math, Engineering & Science
and the University of Utah



U Logo

The Early College Partnership that exists between the University of Utah with AMES allows prepared high school students to earn both high school and college credit by taking College level courses work. These courses are taught at AMES Early College High School (exception: Chemistry Lab).  All courses fulfill graduation requirements at the University of Utah.

program requirements

  • Junior or senior class standing (freshman and sophomore by exception only).
  • A student must present indicators such a 3.0 GPA, a B grade or better in academic classes, and good attendance which indicates the student is prepared for college-level instruction. MATH courses require a specific ACT Math Score.  All MATH anc Science courses have certain pre-requisites that must be met before a student is eligible for a U of U course through AMES.
  • If the student wishes to participate in college level courses not offered at AMES, qualified students can participate in the High School University Program. Deadlines are different. You will need to check on their website.
  • Students must maintain a 2.0  or higher cumulative GPA. If a student's GPA falls below a 2.0 in UofU/AMES courses, the student will not be allowed to continue to participate. Students must meet all the pre-requisite requirements of the University courses.

participation and deadlines

  • Step 1: Attend the Mandatory UofU/AMES Partnership Orientation (in person only).
  • Step 2: Register with the USHE to participate in concurrent enrollment.  As part of the registration process, parents must complete the parent consent formStudents must re-register each year.  When the University receive your information from the state, we will notify you by email the registration link and instruction will be sent.
  • Step 3: Complete the Liability Waiver.
  • Step 4:  Complete the registration link to register for U of U class(es).  (Students must meet the Course Pre-requisites for each UofU class).
  • UofU/AMES Partnership orientation is in April
  • Register with USHE starting June 1st
  • UofU Liability waiver completed by August 1st
  • UofU Register link will be sent when the 3 steps above are completed
  • Your University ID # (uNID) will be created from the list we receive from USHE.  This is why registration with USHE is a required step in the registration process.
  • Yes, student must complete all steps prior to deadlines listed above. Failure to do so will result in a loss of opportunity to take these courses.
  • Registering for classes at AMES does not register you for classes at the University. You won’t be registered for UofU/AMES classes until you register through the university system. An email will be sent to students once they have completed the first 3 steps listed above.

Tuition and Fees

  • The 2018-2019 fee is $5 per credit hour.  Tuition is collected by AMES for the UofU courses taught at your school.
  • No, tuition fees are not subject to fee waivers. Items subject to fee waivers include lab fees, material costs, as well as textbooks.
  • There is no financial aid assistance for Early College Courses.
  • Individual students are permitted to earn up to 30 semester hours of college credit per academic year.

Course PreRequisites

This information is also located on the Class Schedule.
FALL Semester
  • Prerequisites: ("C" or better in MATH 1050) or (MATH ACT score of 25+) or (MATH SAT of 630+) or (Accuplacer CLM of 75+) or (AP Calc AB/BC of at least 2).
  • Student must be co-enrolled in Chemistry Lab, which is held on the UofU campus.
  • MATH 1030 (Completion of MATH I, II, III with an average grade of "C "or better in all three classes) or (ACT MATH Score 19 or better) or (Accuplacer EA,  score of 60 or better)  or (SAT MATH score of 500 or better) Covers a broad scope of mathematical topics as they apply to real world problems.  Topics include reasoning and number sense, using percents and estimations, math for finance matters such as loans and investments, probability and statistics, and modeling.  Intro to Quantitative Reasoning may be the last Math class students take in College.Appropriate for students in: English/Languages, Fine Arts, Humanities, Performing Arts
  • MATH 1040 (Completion of MATH I, II, III with an average grade of "C" or better in all three classes) ("C" or better in MATH 1030 or MATH 1050 or MATH 1070) or (Accuplacer CLM>=50 or better) or (ACT MATH Score 22 or better) or (SAT MATH score of 550 or better).   Includes descriptive and inferential statistical methods. Topics include sampling design, descriptive statistics, linear regression and correlation, probability, sampling distributions, and hypothesis testing and confidence intervals. MATH 1040 may be the last Math class students take in college. Appropriate for study in:  History, Geography, or Social Sciences
  • MATH 1050 (Completion of MATH I, II, III with an average grade of "C" or better and ACT MATH score of 23 or better (Accuplacer CLM>=80) or ("C" or better to progress to MATH 1060)  or (SAT MATH Score of 570 or better).

    An in-depth exploration of algebra topics designed to ultimately prepare students for Calculus or further education courses. Topics include functions, including polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic; systems of equations; matrices and determinants; partial fraction decomposition; conics; and sequences and series. MATH 1050 is the first Math class you will likely take in a math-intensive college major.  Appropriate for study in:  Business, Health Sciences, Biological & Physical Sciences, Engineering, Education

  • MATH 1210 ("C" or better in (MATH 1050 and 1060) or (MATH 1060 and  Accuplacer CLM sore of 80+) or (ACT Math Score 28+ or higher) or (Accuplacer>=90)  OR (AP Calc AB score of at least 3+)  or (SAT  AP Calculus BC score of at least 3) or (SAT MATH score of 650+).
  • "C-" or better or MATH 1210
  • AB Cal AB score of 4+ or AB Cal BC score of 3+
  • Co-Enrollment with MATH 1210 is allowed,
  • No prerequisites
  • Prerequisites: "C-" or better in CHEM 1210 OR AP Chem score of at least 4.
  • Student must be co-enrolled in Chemistry Lab, which is held on the UofU campus.
  • MATH 1060 ("C" or better in MATH 1050) or (Accuplacer CLM Score of 80 or higher)
  • Math 1220 (C or better in (MATH 1210) OR (AP Calculus AB score of at least 4) OR (AP Calculus BC score of at least 3)
  • (C- or better in MATH 1220 AND (PHYS 2210) OR (AP Calculus BC score of at least 4 +) OR (AP Physics C Mech score of at least 4+)
  • C or better required in UGS 2001
  • C- or better in WRTG 1010 OR (score of at least 3 in (AP Language/Comp) OR (AP Languages) OR (AP Comp & Read)

Academic Calendar

  • This calendar shows the deadlines for the current academic year for all university students.
  • The dates classes begin and end.  These dates will be different from your high school schedule.
  • When you can drop or withdraw from classes.

Important Information

  • The final course grade is recorded on a student permanent college transcript regardless of the results.  The same grade is recorded on the high school transcript for the course. Credit is earned by performance and participation throughout the course. Grades that result in high school credit may not be sufficient to earn university credit.  For example, a D or D- grade gives you high school credit, but is often not accepted for university credit.
  • Credit is different than in the AP Program, where college credit is granted upon successful completion of a national exam and no record is kept on the student college transcript if the exam is not passed.  
  • The student is enrolled in public education while completing the college course, this protection has not yet been transferred from the parent to the child. Parents may request and must be given information the students’ academic progress in their Early College class
  • Failed courses can’t be repeated at the high school. Classes can be repeated at the University of Utah Campus (exception: Social Construction of Race and Gender is only taught at AMES). Full tuition would apply.
  • Failed courses are part of your permanent university transcript and will impact your college GPA and could impact your eligibility for financial aid.
  •  A grade of C- or lower may not be considered a passing grade in college. Therefore, a student may have to retake the course to get credit for it in college, even if they receive high school credit for the course.
  • A cumulative GPA of C- or lower in early college courses may put the student on academic probation when they enter college and affect financial aid eligibility.
  • If you drop a class before the deadline, it will be as if you never signed up for the class. If you withdraw, a W will appear on your transcript. The W shows an attempt to complete a class. Financial Aid will only pay for three attempts. Attempts in High School count against this number. The responsibility is yours to drop or withdraw from any classes at the U.
  • Students will not be allowed to withdraw from a class after the withdraw date. A petition must be submitted to the Academic Advising Center and Office of Undergraduate Studies to authorize a late withdrawal.
These petitions are available from your school counselor and are granted for non-academic reasons.Not doing well in the class is not sufficient reason to be allowed to withdraw.

There are two fundamental distinctions between academic accommodations in public education and postsecondary education:

  1.  A public education IEP or Section 504 plan is designed to facilitate a student’s success in school, while postsecondary accommodation(s) is designed to ensure access to postsecondary education; and
  2.  Public education looks to its students and makes an assessment of their physical and academic needs, while postsecondary education expects students to declare a need and request accommodation

Enrolling in a University of Utah course constitutes attendance at college. As soon as students start attending a USHE institution, they are subject to the provisions for requesting accommodations established by the institution they are attending. The institution, upon request of the student, will evaluate the student’s request for accommodation in accordance with its disability resource center (DRC) processes. An IEP or Section 504 Plan may be used as supporting documentation for requesting an accommodation in a postsecondary setting. There is no guarantee that a student with an IEP or Section 504 plan will be eligible for an accommodation at a postsecondary institution.

Please review the website for Disability Services and give yourself time to complete the process prior to the start of your UofU classes.  Here is the form for the process.


  • They are the same. Early College is the name the University of Utah uses for this Program, and Concurrent Enrollment is the name the State Office of Education uses for the same program.
  • Credits and grades will be posted on a student’s high school transcript and count toward the high school GPA.
  • All grades are posted to an official college transcript, and a college GPA is established. This transcript becomes part of a student’s permanent college record. A grade of C- or lower may not be considered a passing grade at the college. Therefore, a student may have to retake the course.
  • Courses may not be retaken.
  • A cumulative GPA of a C- or lower may place a student on academic probation with the college and affect financial aid eligibility.
  • CE offers college credit to those students who complete the course. Students receive a grade and credit on both their high school and college transcripts.
  • AP requires that a student pass the AP Exam to earn college credit. The amount of credit awarded is dependent upon the student’s score and the college or university acceptance requirement. A fee is charged to take the exam.  Here is guide on AP Credits in the USHE system.
  • IB provides courses in a variety of subjects tied to an international curriculum. IB requires that a student pass an IB exam to earn college credit. The amount of credit awarded is dependent upon the student's score and the college or university acceptance requirement. A fee is charged to take the exam.
  • EC students pay tuition and fees to the institution they attend, and must provide their own transportation to the university campus. Credit is posted to a college transcript. Students may request that credit also be posted to their high school transcript.  High School University would be considered and Early College program. 

Contact Us
Phone(801) 581-8920

Email Account

  • When you are entered into the University System, a university email account (umail) is created for you.
  • Any notification from the University will come to this umail account.
  • Review your umail account often because all important correspondence from the University goes to this account.  This email account can be also forwarded to your personal email.
Last Updated: 8/21/18